Helping unemployed graduates
Monday, December 9, 2019
We are pleased to be working with Jobcentre Plus to support unemployed graduates get a foothold in the graduate labour market.
Since September this year we have been supporting unemployed graduates with CV reviews, interview coaching and more. We met with over a dozen unemployed graduates at Jobcentre Plus' Torbay Jobs Fair, and have been working with a number of them since. We are also now developing services through Jobcentre Plus via their Work Coaches and Employment Advisors.
Our key findings from this small group are:
- there is amazing talent not yet being utilised in the region
- the graduates lack confidence in their own abilities and don't sell themselves very well
- some have a lack of work experience, and just need that first step into a graduate job
- they are loyal to the region having actively decided they want to remain here to work
- it doesn't take much support to really improve their chances of securing graduate level work - to both their and their new employers benefit
If you are a recent graduate who finds yourself unemployed then do get in touch.
This work is funded by the OfS through the GradTalent Development Agency project and enables us to support graduates, within 3 years of graduation, who went to school/college in the south west, studied Higher Education in the region and now want to work here too. For this funding, the south west consists of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and the West of England (Bristol & Bath).