Bristol, the south west's largest city, has a higher employment rate than the national average and the highest amongst most major UK cities. Bristol is a graduate magnet, attracting talent to the city and making it one of the countries 'youngest cities' by average age of population.
Some of the city's major areas of employment include:
- Aerospace & Advanced Engineering: Rolls Royce, Airbus and BAE Systems
- IT & electronics: EE, Hewlett Packard and NVIDIA
- Finance & Professional Services: PwC, Aviva, Friends Life, Deloitte, Osborne Clarke, EY and Hargreaves Lansdown
- Arts & Media: Aardman Animation, Bottle Yard Studios, Channel 4, BBC Natural History
- Low Carbon industries: National Composites Centre, OVO Energy, Sustain Ltd
Small to Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs)
Bristol has a thriving SME environment, and is home to many established and start-up companies, in particular:
- High-tech cluster: SMEs include ones in robotics, silicon chip design and embedded software
- Art & Design: an exciting creative community is based in the city
And it's a great place to live
Bristol was crowned the best place to live in the UK in 2017^.
Want to work in Bristol?
Take a look at our Bristol vacancies.