Gain a head start in your career and join us for a 12-month Industrial Placement. You’ll be provided with excellent training, alongside our first-year graduate trainees, to build on the knowledge and experiences you have already gained in the classroom. This will enable you to work across a variety of sectors and support a wide range of high-quality clients. A great foundation for your future career in accountancy.
What you'll be doing
One thing we can guarantee is that no two days will be the same. Every client is different, so you’ll be challenged with new opportunities daily. You’ll work in one of the below teams supporting high-quality clients, from start-ups, AIM-listed companies, and inspirational not-for-profit organisations.
In business advisory, you’ll learn the fundamentals of bookkeeping and accounting. You’ll be helping our clients prepare year-end accounts, management accounts, forecasts, and projections. As you develop, you'll advance to managing budgets and evaluating financial performance, as well as personal and corporate tax.
In audit and assurance, you’ll regularly visit clients’ premises. You’ll be part of small project teams (typically 2-4 people) auditing a wide range of medium sized and large businesses, typically for one to two weeks at a time. This is a great way to learn and develop technical, commercial, and personal skills. You’ll identify key issues and risks facing our client businesses each year and use data analytics tools as part of ensuring information reported is accurate and reliable. You’ll also gain experience in preparing annual statutory accounts and tax calculations, as well as assessing forecasts and projections.
Our hybrid working enables you to split your time between the office, home, and client sites. Whilst on placement with us you’ll attend the office frequently for formal training and on-the-job learning – and with our caring and open culture you’ll very quickly feel like a valued member of the team.
You’ll enjoy this opportunity if you like….
- Being analytical and methodical in your approach to work
- Working with numbers
- Solving problems
- Talking to people
- Becoming an expert
- Being a team player, surrounded by a fun and caring team
In support for you achieving the skills and behaviours required to be a successful accountant, you’ll be trained alongside our first-year graduate intake and will work with our experienced professionals on real client projects.
At the end of your placement, if all goes well and you have demonstrated the skills and qualities to be a successful accountant, you may be offered a place on one of our three-year graduate apprenticeship programmes to become a Chartered Accountant (ACA) to gain the prestigious ‘chartered’ status.
What we’re looking for
- A second-year undergraduate university student on a four-year degree completing a work placement in your third year
- Predicted 2:2 degree in any discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points (obtained from three A Levels or equivalent excluding general studies)
- GCSE Maths and English at grade 4/grade C or above
We recruit on a rolling basis for our opportunities and consider applications as we receive them. We recommend applying ASAP as we close roles early if we receive enough applications to fill all our opportunities.
Why work at PKF Francis Clark
We’re the largest firm of independent chartered accountants and business advisors in South West England. We have nine offices in Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth, Poole, Salisbury, Southampton, Taunton, Torquay and Truro.
The firm, which celebrated its centenary in 2019, has annual revenue of over £55 million and a 900-strong team based across our offices. Our continuing growth offers you the opportunity to expand and develop your career in a direction that interests you.
We offer a supportive and flexible culture, taking your career seriously to enable you to be the best you can be. In September 2022, PKF Francis Clark was certified as a Great Place to Work. In February 2023 we were ranked as one of the UK’s Best Workplaces for Wellbeing (40th out of 79 among large organisations). We work hard to ensure that ours is a culture where you can be yourself, develop and be part of a forward-thinking team that makes brilliant things happen.
PKF Francis Clark is a member of the PKF International family of legally independent firms, which together are ranked as the 12th largest provider of accountancy services in the UK by Accountancy Age.
Your core benefits
• Group life assurance - up to four times your core salary
• Group income protection
• Health cash plan to help cover the costs of everyday healthcare
Health & Wellbeing benefits:
• Option to buy 5 extra days holiday*
• Counselling and support for you and your immediate family
• Virtual GP for you and your immediate family
• Cycle to work*
• Medicash Extras providing you with shopping and gym discounts
• Bonuses for career and family milestones
• One volunteering day per year to support local organisations
• Emergency funding from the Francis Clark Charitable Foundation
* These benefits are provided via a salary exchange and are subject to employee’s post exchange hourly rate remaining above the national minimum wage.
Click APPLY NOW to submit your application.