The Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) is a GBP 30 million interdisciplinary centre at the Penryn Campus of the University of Exeter leading cutting-edge research into solutions to problems of climate change; in doing so we are enhancing people’s lives by improving their relationships with the environment. The University of Exeter is a Russell Group university that combines world-class research with very high levels of student satisfaction. Exeter has over 21,000 students from more than 130 different countries and is in the top 1% of universities in the world with 98% of its research being rated as being of international quality. Our research focuses on some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today. The University offers some fantastic benefits including generous holiday entitlements, options for flexible working, an onsite gym, parking and a stunning campus environment. Take a look at our careers site (www.exeter.ac.uk/working) for more information.
FX Plus (Falmouth Exeter Plus) is the shared services delivery partner of Falmouth University (Falmouth) and the University of Exeter (UoE) in Cornwall. This is underpinned by close collaboration with the combined students’ union (FXU) to ensure that the interests of students and staff are at the heart of everything FX Plus delivers.
Cornwall will appeal if you wish to work in beautiful surroundings with plenty of opportunities for sporting and outdoor activities. The campus is a few minutes' walk from Penryn and only 10 minutes from Falmouth, which is the centre of Cornwall's creative scene, with businesses, studios, shops and galleries, and great live music across the town. Falmouth's seven beaches, beautiful rivers and the world-famous marina also make it a haven for those who love sand, sailing and surf.
Informal enquiries can be made to Mark Plummer, ESI Senior Administrator, tel: +44 (0)1326 259252 or email: email@example.com
Purpose of Role
The holder of this fixed-term (12 months) fulltime post will work within the University of Exeter’s Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) and Falmouth Exeter Plus (FX Plus) to assist with the Sustainable Campus 2030 project. The post holder will help to collect data on current sustainability issues and initiatives on the campus as well as working with the Sustainable Campus Groups incorporating all 4 institutions on the campus: University of Exeter, Falmouth University, Falmouth Exeter Plus and FXU) to develop solutions and roll out new initiatives.
The sustainable campus strategy and initiatives cover a broad range of topics, including: resource and waste management, green travel, biodiversity on campus, energy and water, pollution and campus construction projects.
This post is part of the Graduate Business Partnership scheme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To coordinate data collection, handling and analysis through the campuses’ sustainability dashboards.
- To attend Sustainable Campus meetings, including all Working Groups and the Strategic Board and assist with organising meetings, agendas, notes and papers.
- To research into viable sustainability initiatives and best practice and provide reports to the relevant groups.
- To support the delivery of new initiatives – including assisting with organising events and communications.
- To link staff and student led sustainability initiatives from each of the institutions into the central sustainable campus project
- To liaise with key internal and external stakeholders on campus sustainability initiatives.
- The post holder is expected to establish effective working relationships with staff across all four institutions on campus, and build collaborative relationships with key personnel.
- The post holder may be required to occasionally travel to the Devon campuses to liaise with the wider University sustainability team.
This job description summarises the main duties and accountabilities of the post and is not comprehensive; the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties of similar level and responsibility.
Level of Support
The Graduate Business Partner will meet with the ESI Senior Administrator as their line manager on a regular basis to discuss workload priorities and to provide the opportunity to request additional support. Further support meetings with other key sustainability personnel across campuses and institutions will be on a regular basis.
- A relevant degree from a UK university, achieved within the last 3 years
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
Skills and Understanding
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently under own initiative.
- Ability to meet deadlines and targets.
- Understanding of and commitment to sustainability values.
- In-depth experience in the use of IT applications including Microsoft Office.
- Experience in data collection and analysis.
- Methodical approach to work.
- Ability to assimilate information quickly.
Skills and Understanding
- Awareness of carbon targets, strategies for waste, green travel, water and energy management.
- Awareness of behavioural and cultural change elements relating to sustainability.
- Experience of working on sustainability initiatives.
- Experience of liaising and engaging with stakeholders.
- Degree in a sustainability-related subject area
The University of Exeter is an equal opportunities employer which is ‘Positive about Disabled People’. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce.
Closing date: 26 Aug 2019
Interview date: 2 Sept 2019
Start date: 9 Sept 2019
End date: 12 months from start
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW