A Communications Assistant (Social Media) is required by the Medical School, Exeter. The role involves establishing, delivery and optimising a number of academic social media channels, and / or support a wider range of communications activities around dementia research. This is a 12 month GBP.
Main purpose of the job:
This is a busy and fast-paced role with scope to gain experience across a wide range of communications activities, particularly within health research.
The Communications Assistant reports to the Senior Press and Media Manager. They work closely with academics and with other members of the Communications and Marketing team as well as colleagues within the Medical School as required to fully exploit opportunities to communicate priority research.
Depending on skills and experience, the role will set up, run and optimise a number of academic social media channels, and / or support a wider range of communications activities around key areas of Medical School research including dementia, diabetes and others. The post holder will support world-leading researchers to optimise their communications reach regionally, nationally and internationally and to a range of audiences. Working with a wider communications team, the post holder will receive support across a range of communications disciplines in an exciting and innovative area of global research.
The post holder will be expected to help maintain, manage and develop Twitter accounts, assist in producing suitable web and news copy for both internal and external audiences, create and promote engaging content using a range of media, and write newsletters for different audiences. The post will entail maximising the potential for communications across a range of platforms.
The post holder will support the development, implementation and delivery of a variety of communication plans, and will be required to manage and execute significant aspects as those plans develop.
The post holder will be expected to follow best practice across all areas of internal communications and work in collaboration with colleagues from Communication and Marketing Services and beyond, to support the use of relevant communications channels.
Main duties and accountabilities:
- Undergraduate degree within the last 3 years
Experience, knowledge & skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including copywriting and use of visuals
- Ability to deliver on plan / deadline
- Networking and developing contacts
- Ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm in others
- Confidence to present knowledge and expertise to others
- Be self-motivated and use initiative to find solutions / deliver on a task
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Excellent time and workload priority management
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship
- Undergraduate degree in Medical Sciences or related subject
Experience & knowledge
- Experience of Twitter
- Understanding of research landscape
- Interest and basic understanding of neurological disorders and dementia research
- Good IT user skills, including MS ‘Office’ and web page editing
- Sound analytical and organisational skills
- Planning skills
Closing Date: 02/09/2018
Interview Date: 10/09/2018
Start Date: 17/09/2018
End Date: 27/09/2019
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW