A Data Science Outreach and Marketing Assistant is sought by the University of Exeter. The role involves coordinating the design and delivery of marketing, communications and outreach activities for a new bachelor of science degree in data science. This GBP is for 12 months.
Duties and Responsibilities
With support from the CEMPS Student Recruitment Team, and Outreach Officer, and building on best practice established with schools across the South West, this job entails:
- Undertake and commission market research to inform the marketing decisions related to the promotion of the BSc in Data Science.
- Take responsibility for development and ownership of the Marketing and Communications plan.
- Work closely with the University’s central communications and marketing team to plan, execute and review campaigns through a variety of media.
- Gain a detailed understanding of the graduate market and external factors impacting upon it.
- Plan and deliver recruitment events both on and off campus.
- Build on the existing outreach, widening participation, engagement and curriculum enrichment programme to include new data science activities, which might include e.g. ‘Inspire Lectures’, and workshops.
- Coordinate and be involved in the delivery of these activities to young people, schools and colleges across Devon, including our 40 partner schools, raising understanding, aspiration and opportunities to progress into data science learning and careers.
- Establish effective working relationships and networks both internally, with University staff and externally, with Alumni, local schools and colleges and build collaborative relationships with key personnel.
- Liaise with both experienced and new academics, applicants and University services via email, phone, and in person.
- Develop and maintain network relationships.
- Provide administrative support including planning, scheduling and organising strategic and operational meetings and events.
- Providing ad hoc reports and updates as required.
- Keep up-to-date and accurate records of spending against budget.
- Carry out any other duties and projects as required by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level of the post.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Lee Burford, L.Burford@exeter.ac.uk 01392 726497.
Essential Candidate Criteria:
* Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from a UK University
Personal Qualities and Attributes
*A keen interest in and enthusiasm, for data science, computer science, maths or artificial intelligence (AI)
*Ability to use your own initiative to manage and progress a defined project
*Motivated and driven by targets or goals and confident working to regular deadlines
*Experience of working with young people
*Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal confidently and professionally with both internal and external customers, from all levels of an organisation
*Excellent IT skills – the use of Microsoft Office applications (in particular Outlook, Word and PowerPoint) and database systems
*Ability to manage your own workload and to work independently as well as part of a team to deliver multiple objectives
*A flexible approach, with a willingness to help
*Accuracy and attention to detail
*Excellent organisation and planning skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and work to deadlines
*Competent at managing budgets
*Flexibility to work occasional weekends and evenings to support recruitment activity
*A creative flair
*A basic knowledge of data science, computer science, maths or artificial intelligence (AI)
*Understanding of the UK Higher Education sector.
*Knowledge of basic marketing principles
*Right to work in UK for the duration of the internship
*Full, clean driving licence
Desirable Candidate Criteria:
* A Bachelor’s Degree from in Mathematics, Computer Science or Data Science
*Higher degree in a related discipline
*Experience of managing successful working relationships with a variety of stakeholders at all levels
*Familiarity with social media and its applications for marketing
*Experience of event management
*Understanding of the UK Higher Education sector with regards to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
Closing Date: 19/08/2018
Interview Date: 28/08/2018
Start Date: 10/9/2018 (This date can be flexible up until the end of October)
End Date: 12 months from the start date
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.