We are looking to appoint a Digital Communications graduate to join the busy Communications Team at East Devon District Council, seconded from the University of Exeter. You will be delivering a whole range of marketing communications initiatives and activities via social media, websites, e-newsletters and traditional media. This role is available immediately until 30 November 2022 and is part of the Graduate Business Partnership Scheme. The role will be a mix of remote working (in the UK) and office based in Honiton as required by the line manager.
At East Devon District Council
our ambition in the Communications, Digital Services and Engagement Team is to provide a proactive and reactive communication and digital service via all of the council’s external communications channels to ensure East Devon District Council’s reputation as an excellent authority is maintained.
Working within the newly created Communications, Digital Services and Engagement Team, the successful candidate will be delivering a whole range of marketing communications initiatives and activities via social media, websites, e-newsletters and traditional media. The Digital Communications Assistant will work with colleagues across the council to improve and develop the range of ways we communicate with local residents and visitors to the area making use of new and emerging technologies.
The candidate will have an analytical mind, excellent communication and inter-personal skills with a can-do attitude. A background in communications, graphic design, marketing, social media, use of digital platforms and a knowledge of the local area and working in a public environment would be beneficial.
Working closely with the Council’s Communications, Digital Services and Engagement Manager and Communications Team, this role will undertake a range of activity, including:
- Develop, devise and design daily content for use on the council’s corporate social media platforms and by using “Orlo” schedule this content to reach maximum audiences
- Assist in the design and the creation of regular external and internal digital e-newsletters and to create campaigns to increase the reach of these publications
- Develop digital content (e.g. films and videos) that can be used to enhance the communications of the council
- Assist in the promotion of engagement projects to increase resident awareness and participation in these
- Assist in the promotion of council meetings to increase resident awareness of these
- Maintain and develop an East Devon photo library of images and digital content that can be used by colleagues and partners across the authority
- Identify opportunities for positive PR for the council
- Monitor national and local conversations on digital platforms that could impact on the council’s reputation
- Analyse the impact of the council’s social media, e-newsletters and other digital content to understand its success, revising and refreshing content as a result, providing reports and feedback to colleagues
- Work with Human Resources Team colleagues to develop the use of social media to support the Council’s employer brand, ‘grown your own’ and recruitment strategy and support internal staff communications
- Carry out other administration tasks as required
This is an exciting opportunity to gain exposure to the full range of Communications, Digital and Engagement activities within a busy team, whilst also providing a significant contribution to our delivery and service.
For more information on the post, please contact Andrew Hopkins, Communications Consultant on 01395 571699
Training and Development
Level of Support
Reporting into the Communications, Digital Services and Engagement Manager, you will have exposure to a wide range of Communications and Digital activities and will be provided with relevant training, mentoring, regular 1:1s and other support to assist you in this role and to develop further in your career.
The university also offers extensive support to staff, including a structured Professional Development Review and Wellbeing Service
plus GBPs are offered 1:1 support from the Internships Team.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
As a University of Exeter member of staff you will be entitle to a wide range of benefits, rewards and recognition
, including generous pension and holiday allowance of 39 days a year.
As above but the Communications, Digital Services and Engagement team (like many other Council employees) is continuing to work primarily from home whilst we finalise the Council’s longer term working arrangements. The postholder will therefore work from home for some of their time but will be expected to attend the office as required.
You will be a graduate from a UK University and will have graduated in the last 3 years.
We are looking for a person who has the following knowledge, skills and behaviours:
- strong communications and marketing skills
- an interest in graphic and web design
- experience of producing content on digital platforms
- report writing, analytical and presentation skills
- excellent listening and interpersonal skills and ability to work with a range of people, at all levels, both within and outside the organisation
- high level of organisational skills and ability to manage a range of priorities
- flexible and proactive
- interest and understanding of communications, marketing and digital platforms
- enthusiasm to learn, develop and try new things.
GBP Scheme Requirements
- To be eligible to apply and undertake a GBP role the graduate must meet all of the following criteria:
- Achieved* (or about to achieve) a full undergraduate degree (or Masters or PhD).
- Graduated in the UK within the last 3 years of your most recent degree (we will consider extenuating circumstances of potential applicants that may have prevented them from undertaking a graduate role within 3 years of graduation). * Please see above for additional requirements
- Attended a British university (or spent time studying at a UK university through ERASMUS)
- The University of Exeter is committed to developing an environment which promotes equality of opportunity, values diversity and inclusivity.
- The University of Exeter is a Disability Confident Employer, committed attracting and recruiting people with disabilities, and retaining and supporting staff with disabilities. If an applicant declares a disability and meets all the essential criteria, they will be invited to interview.
- We welcome applications from all eligible students and in particular those from the following underrepresented groups. Selection and recruitment itself will be entirely on merit alone unless there are multiple applicants demonstrating equal merit. In this clear circumstance, preference would be shown to applicants from under-represented groups. This is in line with lawful positive action measures under sections 158 and 159 of the Equality Act 2010.
- Right to Work in the UK for the duration of the GBP internship evidenced by the Intern Guidance- Proving Right to Work the UK. This can include British citizens; individuals with an EU Pre-Settlement or EU-Settlement Status; and those with a Graduate Route Visa.
- Current immigration legislation prevents the University to provide sponsorship certificates for GBP roles, as they do not meet the requirements for a Skilled Worker visa as explained on the International Student Support webpages.
- All graduates need to reside in the UK whilst undertaking this role.
- Applicants cannot undertake another GBP role if the contract length in total exceeds the maximum duration of 23 months working as a GBP.
* To undertake a GBP role applicants must achieve their degree. In the unlikely scenario where a degree is not awarded, the GBP hours may be reduced to 15hrs a week (for undergraduates) or 6hrs a week (for postgraduates) to enable to the graduand the capacity to successfully complete their degree. If the graduand fails their degree the GBP role will end early
Closing Date: 28/10/2021
Interview Date: 2TBC
Start Date: 15th November 2021 or can be flexible to start earlier if at all possible
End Date: 30th November 2022
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this role please complete our internship application form which can be downloaded here.
Please send your completed form by clicking apply for this job now, or send it direct to email@example.com stating that you saw the job advertised on Gradsouthwest.