An Economic Development Support Officer is required for Somerset County Council, in Taunton. The role involves the review and monitoring the delivery of a new Enterprise Centre; assisting with the broadband delivery programme and lead on a project. This well paid GBP is for 12 months minimum.
Summary of company
Somerset County Council.
Economic Development Group working in Economic Infrastructure Development team
Purpose of Role
To support the Service Manager in the Economic Infrastructure team to:
- Deliver infrastructure including Enterprise Centres
- Support the delivery of new Enterprise Centre including liaising with property services and monitoring grant funding requirements.
- Develop the business case to invest in further Enterprise Centres
- Investigate and analyse demand for services.
- Manage existing contracts with Managing Agent for the Somerset Enterprise Centres.
- Collect data and monitor and review outputs from services
- Commence first stages of procurement of new contract to manage Somerset Enterprise Centres
- Provide support for Broadband delivery programme as required.
- Working with Manager to meet local authority governance requirements
Duties and Responsibilities
Initial duties and responsibilities
- Reviewing and monitoring the delivery of a new Enterprise Centre which is imminently to start build.Work will be task orientated and agreed with Service manager.Tasks will include liaison with property services, ensuring that grant funding requirements are met, reporting to Service manager as project develops.This aspect is a contract management role.There will be opportunities to work independently but with regular reporting to manager and other team members there will also be support and guidance for tasks.
- Dealing with enquiries about broadband services from council members and the general public.
- Assisting with contract/ programme management tasks for Broadband delivery programme.
Longer-term duties and responsibilities
- Developing business case for new Enterprise Centre
- Helping to manage the contract for the Enterprise Centre Network
- There may be opportunities to develop presentation skills
- Leading on a project
- Working with manager to develop proposals for Enterprise Centres
Training and Development opportunities
- Who works in the organisation that the intern can learn from- you could like to LinkedIn profiles here.
- On the job training
- Practical experience in contract management and developing business cases
- Potential for progression for the right candidate in your company or highlight how the experience can help the intern with their next step
- This role currently has funding for 12 months. There may be an opportunity for an extension of the role up to another 11 months.
Level of Support
- How frequently will the intern meet their line manager? Usually daily.
- Intern will be working closely with line manager and other members of the team.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
- Flexible working by agreement with manager
- Having a job that allows you to ‘give something back’ to the community
- Staff Benefits scheme
- University degree from a UK university
- Experience of data analysis would be useful
- Relevant IT skills to enable effective use of IT equipment on a daily basis.
- Evidence of familiarity with and ability to use excel and other standard office applications required.
Skills and Understanding
- Experience of report writing and drawing together an argument/ case for a project.This role requires submission of applications for funding.If you can show that you can be persuasive and logical in making a case that would be helpful.It is anticipated that experience of dissertation arguments would assist in this aspect of the role.
- Research experience.
- Not a requirement but if you can show evidence of having managed a project or worked as part of a team to achieve a result that would be of interest.
Behavioural Characteristics/ Personal Qualities and Attributes
- A team player who has the ability to work independently when required.
- Well organised.
- Enthusiastic and confident.
- Flexible work approach
- Ability to plan and prioritise work load.
- Ability to work under pressure (on occasion there can be conflicting deadlines which can be challenging to manage).
- Good communicator – presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work with a range of people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Graduate of a UK university within the last 3 years/Student at the University of Exeter (about to graduate)
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
Closing Date: 24/05/2018
Interview Date: 01/06/2018
Start Date: 11/06/2018 or ASAP
End Date: 12 months plus possibility of extension up to a further 11 months.
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form by clicking APPLY NOW.