The post is hosted by Devon County Council’s Environment Team which is based at County Hall, Exeter and includes a range of specialist officers covering issues relating to ecology, marine and estuaries, landscapes, flooding, historic environment, AONBs and energy. Devon County Council hosts the Devon Maritime Forum and the Devon Local Nature Partnership.
Devon Maritime Forum is an independent, not-for-profit partnership organization which brings together organisations and individuals who have a stake in marine and coastal issues in Devon. For more information see https://www.devonmaritimeforum.org.uk/
Devon Local Nature Partnership (Natural Devon) was established ~ five years ago and is an umbrella body which aims to bring together those with an interest in securing the economic and social benefits of a healthy natural environment. The Partnership has over 1000 Forum members, is led by a Board, and managed by the County Ecologist at Devon County Council. For more information see www.naturaldevon.org.uk
Whilst the intern will be hosted by DCC they will be working with a wide range of organisations and individuals across the county, including: Plymouth University, Plymouth Marine Institute, Devon Wildlife Trust, Natural England, Woodland Trust, Active Devon, National Parks, AONBs, Forestry Commission, Buglife, Parishes, Local Authorities, the Voluntary and Community Sector……...and more….
A graduate is sought as an Environment Officer at Devon County Council in Exeter. This role is to help coordinate the Devon Maritime Forum (DMF) & Devon Local Nature Partnership (DLNP), leading on communication (events, social media,) as well as developing projects. This GBP is for 8 mths initially.
Purpose of Role
- To provide support for the Devon Local Nature Partnership (LNP) and Devon Maritime Forum (DMF)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing the DMF 2019 conference;
- Compiling and circulating regular newsletters and other relevant updates for DMF/LNP members;
- Leading on wider DMF/LNP communications, including updating websites social media and responding to queries;
- Supporting the coordination and implementation of the LNP’s Sustainable Seas Action Plan’ on behalf of the DMF.
- Supporting the coordination of other LNP initiatives such as 2019 Year of Green Action
- Progressing other DMF/LNP projects and activities in liaison with the Steering Groups / Board.
- Training will be largely on the job and through informal internal training with DCC / partner staff. There will also be some formal training opportunities available if required and budget allows.
- Daily line management and support will be provided by the DCC Environment Team. Support and mentoring opportunities will also be provided by partner organisations as required.
- The County Council operates a flexible working policy
- Travel expenses or personal mileage will be paid when out on official business.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided as required.
- An ergonomic workstation will be provided, and any relevant checks will be carried out.
- Has successfully graduated/completed a relevant degree (any level) within the last three years.
Behavioural Characteristics/ Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Enthusiasm, energy and a passion for conserving marine and terrestrial environments, links to the social / economic agendas and communication.
- A strong interest in using the environment to meet health and wellbeing objectives.
- Flexible – able to deal with changing priorities.
Skills and Understanding
- A broad understanding of marine and terrestrial environmental issues and links to social / economic agendas.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).Able to take complex subjects and turn into succinct plain English articles for a range of audiences.
- Writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Attention to detail is essential.
- Comfortable using Microsoft tools like Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a willingness and ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with sensitively with a wide range of people from all sectors with differing perspectives, opinions and language.
- Some experience of working with environmental organisations would be an advantage
- Communication – including writing newsletters, articles, editing websites, using social media and other comms channels (video etc).
- Organising events.
- Partnership working.
- Demonstrates a history of initiative and accountability for work.
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
- A full driving licence would be beneficial
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu and email to email@example.com. Please send your completed form to us by clicking apply now.
- Closing Date: 18 December 2018
- Interview Date: 10 January 2019
- Start Date: End January / early February 2019
- End Date: Initially 8 months from start date (with possibility of extension of funding available)