Working closely with the Student Services Technical team the role of the Laboratory Assistant is to provide technical support and assistance to academic staff and students within the laboratory and in the field to ensure an efficient and safe working environment, within the College of Life and Environmental Science.
The main duties and responsibilities will be as follows:
- To demonstrate to undergraduate and masters students on a wide variety of laboratory and field based practicals, including laboratory techniques, IT support and practical field skills.
- To complete the ‘Learning to Teach in Higher Education’ LTHE module (unless already achieved
- To support the provision of practical classes and field trips to undergraduates, including resource development and equipment preparation.
- To provide assistance to the module leader in completing marking for objective undergraduate coursework.
- Where required assist in the care and welfare of microorganisms, plants or invertebrates, which may include feeding and watering, assisting in husbandry and maintaining facilities. Training will be provided in the technical requirements.
- To provide routine laboratory and field trip equipment maintenance/servicing under the direction of the lab manager.
- To contribute in developing the teaching resources, including IT such as iPads/laptops, to fulfil the requirements of the diverse degree programmes offered at the campus.
- Carry out any other duties and projects as required by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level of the post.
- Assisting with the management of the natural history specimen collection for teaching and widening participation events.
The appointee will also carry out any other duties and small projects as required by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level and nature of the post.
ESSENTIAL CANDIDATE CRITERIA: LABORATORY ASSISTANT
Graduate from a UK university within the last 3 years
Qualified to degree level, preferably in a science subject
Ability to perform standard scientific procedures after appropriate training.
Ability to create and maintain accurate and detailed records, and standard operating procedures.
Understand the requirement for safe methods of work.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
Organised and methodical approach.
Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, and an ability to communicate at all levels.
Ability to prioritise work applying a flexible/ responsive approach to work demands.
Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
Right to work in UK for the duration of the internship
Basic knowledge of Microsoft and Apple platforms desirable but not essential.
Closing Date: 08/ 07/2018
Interview Date: 16/07/2018
Start Date: 01/08/2018
End Date: 12 months after start date
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW