A Study Abroad Support Assistant is required to work within the Study Abroad Team in the College of Humanities. The role involves the administration of the College of Humanities’ Study Abroad scheme and providing information and support to inbound and outbound students. This paid internship is part of the University of Exeter’s GBP scheme. The role is 0.4 FTE so this equates to 14.6 hours per week. The preferred work schedule would be 2 full working days of 7.3 hours (plus lunch break) each, but this can be negotiated if necessary
Company Summary: The College of Humanities sends over 250 students to study and work abroad each academic year; we also welcome over 150 inbound students each academic year. Study Abroad is a compulsory component of our Modern Languages degree programme and refers to students who both study and work outside the UK for a year or a semester abroad. The opportunity to Study Abroad is also available as an option to all taught students within the College of Humanities. The College of Humanities has student exchange links with over 70 partner universities across the globe.
Purpose of Role: to offer administrative and customer services support to the Humanities Study Abroad Team; to gain varied and valuable administration and customer service experience in a leading Russell Group University.
- Supporting the Humanities Study Abroad team during the outgoing and incoming Study Abroad administration cycles;
- Efficiently answering or referring student enquiries to the correct team or individual within the College and University. Enquiries will predominantly be dealt with via email, phone or face-to-face;
- Offering tailored advice and support to students wishing to study abroad, via consultations (for example, through drop-ins), under the direction of your Line Manager
- Offering tailored advice and support to inbound students wishing to spend a study abroad placement in the College of Humanities
- Creating and populating Excel spreadsheets with student, internship and study placement information;
- Drafting template letters on Microsoft Word, confirming student status or contact details;
- Scanning and saving applications and key correspondence from both partner universities and students;
- Carrying out any other duties and projects as required by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level of the post.
- Supporting Study Abroad events, such as presentations, fairs and University Open Days and Offer Holder Visitor Days
- Degree from a UK University within the last 3 years
- Undertaken a Study or Work Abroad placement for a minimum period of a semester
- Experience of undertaking administrative duties
- Excellent IT skills including proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent communication and friendly interpersonal skills (oral, written, including fluency in written and spoken English);
- Appreciation of professionalism and ability to perform duties efficiently and to a high standard;
- Capacity to multi-task without compromising attention to detail;
- Ability to work well under own initiative and as part of a team;
- Ability to assimilate information quickly
- Ability to maintain customer confidentiality
- Ability to build and manage relationships with professional services staff, academic staff, students and partner universities.
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
- Graduate of the University of Exeter
- Undertaken an Exeter Humanities or Modern Languages Year Abroad
- Experience of working in an office environment;
- Experience of Microsoft Excel and Office
- Experience of working in a professional environment;
- Desire to improve and streamline existing administrative processes;
- Creative and problem-solving capability.
Closing Date: 22/08/18
Interview Date: 29/08/18
Start Date: 6/9/18
End Date: 29/3/2019
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu and send it to us by clicking APPLY NOW.