A graduate is sought as a Sports Communications Assistant for the University of Exeter Sports.
This role provides an exciting opportunity for a recent graduate to bring originality and innovation to our marketing and communications across sport. The role will develop our platforms for communication and effectively use communications techniques to support all areas of our operations. This role is being recruited through the GBP scheme and is for 23 months. The role will be based at the Sports Park, on Streatham campus, in Exeter.
At the University of Exeter we want to make the exceptional happen, and have a real and lasting impact on the world around us. We are already firmly at the forefront of universities worldwide and our ambition is to increase that position, particularly as a Global 100 institution. We challenge our talented students to achieve more than they ever thought possible, and recruit the very best people from around the world to reach greater heights in research excellence, innovation and impact.
Purpose of Role
This role provides an exciting opportunity for a recent graduate to bring originality and innovation to our marketing and communications across sport. The role will develop our platforms for communication and effectively use communications techniques to support all areas of our operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Liaise with colleagues to develop a communications plan, co-ordinate all communications activities against a schedule
Liaise with central comms team to ensure sports website is following brand and corporate guidelines
Develop the website to evolve content and review structure
Co-ordinate site responsibilities for content
Ensure all visual displays are current and updated
Ensure leaflets are amended and updated and sufficient stock is held physically and virtual copies are updated
Organise and co-ordinate filming, video / photography shoots to evolve our content and ensure appropriate storage
Ensure accurate records of stock, consent is given and recorded
Support app development for activities to ensure communications through this medium are accurate and reviewed regularly
Open Day and Recruitment Events
Co-ordinate presence and staff engagement in the events
Research and identify opportunities for commercial promotional events
Support colleagues with identification and creation of news stories and ensure publication in a timely format
Publish all news stories Support internal communication both within department and within wider University channels
Training and Development opportunities
Level of Support
- Weekly meeting will be held with direct line manager and fortnightly catch ups with wider sports colleagues whose remits impact upon communications role.
- The university offers extensive support to staff, including a structured Professional Development Review and Wellbeing Serviceplus GBPs are offered 1:1 support from the Internships Team.
The University offers a wide range of benefits, rewards and recognition, including generous pension and holiday allowance of 39 days a year.
Degree and Attainment
Understanding of HE sport
Desirable: marketing / social media experience
Excellent written communication skills
Attention to detail for copy editing and creation
Experience of managing and prioritising diverse workloads
Ability to work to deadlines
Behavioural Characteristics/ Personal Qualities and Attributes
Interest in sport
Ability to build and develop relationships across a diverse range of stakeholders
No experience is required but the following is desirable:
Web content management system
Social media platform use
Other Scheme Requirements
To be eligible to apply and undertake a GBP role you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Achieved* (or about to achieve) a full undergraduate degree (or Masters or PhD).
- Graduated in the UK within the last 3 years of your most recent degree (we will consider extenuating circumstances of potential applicants that may have prevented them from undertaking a graduate role within 3 years of graduation).
- Attended a British university (or spent time studying at a UK university through ERASMUS)
- The University of Exeter is committed to developing an environment which promotes equality of opportunity, values diversity and inclusivity.
- The University of Exeter is a Disability Confident Employer, committed attracting and recruiting people with disabilities, and retaining and supporting staff with disabilities. If an applicant declares a disability and meets all the essential criteria, they will be invited to interview.
- We welcome applications from all eligible students and in particular those from the following underrepresented groups. Selection and recruitment itself will be entirely on merit alone unless there are multiple applicants demonstrating equal merit. In this clear circumstance, preference would be shown to applicants from under-represented groups. This is in line with lawful positive action measures under sections 158 and 159 of the Equality Act 2010.
- Right to Work in the UK for the duration of the GBP internship evidenced by the ?Intern Guidance- Proving Right to Work the UK. This can includes British citizens; individuals with an EU Pre-Settlement or EU-Settlement Status; and those with a Graduate Route Visa.
- Current immigration legislation prevents the University to provide sponsorship certificates for GBP roles, as they do not meet the requirements for a Skilled Worker visa as explained on the International Student Support webpages.
- All graduates need to reside in the UK whilst undertaking this role.
- You cannot undertake another GBP role if the contract length in total exceeds the maximum duration of 23 months working as a GBP.
*To undertake a GBP role you must achieve your degree. In the unlikely scenario where a degree is not awarded, the GBP hours may be reduced to 15hrs a week (for undergraduates) or 6hrs a week (for postgraduates) to enable to the graduate the capacity to successfully complete their degree. If the graduate fails their degree the GBP role will end early.
To apply for this role please complete our internship application form which can be downloaded here.