A Graduate Management Trainee (Quarry) is sought by for Lantoom Quarry, a specialist in natural stone products, in Cornwall. The role involves purchasing, finance, sales and administration and offers professional development opportunities, including accredited training form the Institute of Management. This graduate role is part of the GBP scheme. It is offered on a permanent basis and will take place all in the workplace in Liskeard, Cornwall.
Lantoom is a specialist in natural stone products. Based near Liskeard, Cornwall - for over sixty years, we have produced and marketed quality natural stone products. In recent years, the company has evolved to provide its clients with a range of products and developed a global supply chain. Our customers range from online retail customers to national contractors.
We are lucky to have a supportive work environment, brilliant clients, a talented team and a thriving business. We try to understand our customers’ needs, inspire them with what we can offer, and prove we are worth trusting with their business. You will help make that happen in our next stage of growth.
Main purpose of the role:
- To generally assist in coordinating and implementing the business’s strategic objectives.
- To learn and develop with the role, to earn promotion to a key position within the management structure of The Company.
- To train in the wide variety of business administrative tasks described below.
Specific responsibilities and duties
- Working alongside the office team
- Maintain risk assessments and health and safety records
- Ordering in consumables
- Liaising with contractors
- Working closely to assist the Production and Quarry Managers
- Monitor maintenance and testing schedules
- Review processes and procedures
- Professionally respond as the first point of contact for new sales enquiries and visitors
- Provide customer service for routine sales enquiries, referring more complex ones
- Develop and implement marketing strategies
- Sales analytics to help us make better decisions
- Help identify opportunities for new products and services
- Management and improvement of The Company’s online presence
- Follow up aged enquiries
- Maintain sales records, working with The Company’s computer system
- Supervise and control dispatch records
- Send customer invoices
- Produce finance reports
- Monitoring logistics and ensuring sufficient stock levels
- Check incoming and outgoing goods
- Build relationships with our international partners
- Check purchase invoices against orders
- Keep records of supplier and haulier data
- Help implement automation and improve systems
Training and Support
- On the job ad-hoc training provided by experienced and qualified internal staff
- Structured training resulting in recognised qualifications
- Professional development, including membership of a professional body and understanding of industry regulations. Attending seminars.
- Recognised qualification through the Institute of Management
You will be joining an ambitious company with big plans for growth. Our mission is to “Build a better world”,
To accelerate our growth, we want to recruit a new Management Trainee to join our team.
You will receive a wide array of training in all aspects of successful business management leading to a recognised management qualification. We will train you in a gambit of sales, purchasing, finance, logistics, administration and production safety duties, so that you can take on responsibility and ownership of key functions within the team. As your competence increases, so will your responsibilities.
You are must be graduate that is self-motivated and adaptive, with an enthusiastic nature. You will be able to demonstrate the use of initiative, self-reliance, effective teamwork and a desire to keep learning. We will see your good track record of employment, or full-time education, but most importantly we will see your potential as valuable member of our team. Familiarity and competence in IT skills is a must, as is being able to take constructive feedback and learn from coaching and experience.
You will continue your development in the work environment with a wide range of valued customers, so appropriate and effective communication skills are a must to have. We will help you develop these further. Your work-based learning will be supplemented by external training and qualifications, and you will be mentored and coached by experienced management professionals.
We want to identify in you a grit and determination to succeed. You will need to use your judgement every day to make the right decisions; and it will be a steep learning curve but we will support you as you grow.
Salary and benefits
- Competitive trainee salary with increments for training achievement
- Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme with 5% employer contribution rate
- 28 days annual paid holiday
- Although it may be possible to offer flexible working conditions, it is expected that the successful candidate will work out of our quarry offices, to allow appropriate mentorship and training to take place close to the management team.
GBP Scheme Requirements
To be eligible to apply and undertake a GBP role you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Achieved* (or about to achieve) a full undergraduate degree (or Masters or PhD).
- Graduated in the UK within the last 3 years of your most recent degree (we will consider extenuating circumstances of potential applicants that may have prevented them from undertaking a graduate role within 3 years of graduation).
- Attended a British university (or spent time studying at a UK university through ERASMUS)
- The University of Exeter is committed to developing an environment which promotes equality of opportunity, values diversity and inclusivity.
- The University of Exeter is a Disability Confident Employer, committed attracting and recruiting people with disabilities, and retaining and supporting staff with disabilities. If an applicant declares a disability and meets all the essential criteria, they will be invited to interview.
- We welcome applications from all eligible students and in particular those from the following underrepresented groups. Selection and recruitment itself will be entirely on merit alone unless there are multiple applicants demonstrating equal merit. In this clear circumstance, preference would be shown to applicants from under-represented groups. This is in line with lawful positive action measures under sections 158 and 159 of the Equality Act 2010.
- Right to Work in the UK for the duration of the GBP internship without the need for sponsorship and follow the Intern Guidance- Proving Right to Work the UK. Current immigration legislation prevents the university to provide sponsorship certificates for GBP roles, as they do not meet the requirements for a Tier 2 (General Visa) as explained on the International Student Support webpages
- Residency in the UK for the duration of your GBP role
- You cannot undertake another GBP role if the contract length in total exceeds the maximum duration of 23 months working as a GBP.
*To undertake a GBP role you must achieve your degree. In the unlikely scenario where a degree is not awarded, the GBP hours may be reduced to 15hrs a week (for undergraduates) or 6hrs a week (for postgraduates) to enable to the graduand the capacity to successfully complete their degree. If the graduand fails their degree the GBP role will end early.
Interviews for this role are expected to take place in the week commencing 24/05/2021 (flexible around exams).
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org