A Graduate Project Engineer (Marine) is sought by Keynvor Morlift Ltd, in Appledore, Devon. The role involves assisting with engineering schedules and forecasts; design marine structures; and delivery of projects and in vessel operations. This is a permanent role is part of the of the GBP scheme.
KML is a UK based integrated marine contractor with our own fleet, assets and labour force. With a heritage and portfolio in specialist and general merchant vessel operations, marine civil contracting and Tidal / Wave Energy Converter installations, operations and maintenance, the company has ambitious plans for growth in all three of these subsectors.
KML specialises in shoreline, coastal and offshore marine services with a wealth of amphibious and heavy lifting experience ranging from marine renewable energy construction projects to project cargo, marine civil engineering, subsea and salvage operations and many more offshore and specialist marine services.
Position: Graduate Project Engineer
The successful candidate will assist in the planning and implementation of technical activities on assigned projects from tender through award to completion with the support of the Project Engineer/s. You will be able to provide technical information, CAD drawings, procedures, and worksite/vessel/office supervision / oversight in the development and implementation of engineering project proposals, MSRA/HIRA and procedures for marine and civil construction projects, marine operations /shipping projects, and marine renewable energy projects. A confident “self-starter”, ideally with practical engineering skills and experience of marine operations you will make an essential contribution to a dynamic project team. You may also be required to represent the company at client meetings and during marine operations.
Sound engineering judgement, acute commercial sensitivity and a firm grounding in project risk awareness is essential. Coolness under pressure and a cordial, highly professional manner is required to enable you to assist the Project Engineer, respond to clients’ needs, and manage colleagues, suppliers and contractors. You will be able to change direction seamlessly in a fast moving environment.
You will report directly to the Project Engineers. Liaising with our Lifting Engineer, Regional Marine Manager and Naval Architect to complete projects to challenging timescales.
While on a project and in the absence of the Project Engineers you will report to the Project Manager (if assigned) or directly to the Marine Operations Director - who has ultimate responsibility for both the quality of KML’s deliverable and effective execution of project assignments.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with preparation of engineering schedules and forecasts.
- Design marine structures using CAD software in cooperation with Naval Architect and Lifting Engineer.
- Support the company fleet and personnel in delivery of projects and in vessel operations.
- Keep an eye on all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements.
- Development, delivery and monitoring of project deliverables to a high standard and within budget guidelines.
- Development and execution of engineering, design, implementation and testing.
- Participate in client/contractor meetings resolving client/engineering project issues.
- Support aspects of the fabrication, transportation and installation of marine structures.
- Provide input into Risk Assessments and Method Statements for the marine operations.
- Contribute to the drafting of work tenders, bid documents and new business pitches.
- Carefully document the process, statistical reports and data.
- Represent our clients to contractors and sub-contractors during fabrication and installation projects.
- You may be required to travel to the project site/s to provide field research and ensure projects are completed in a timely manner.
Development and training plan:
KML is committed to continuing personal and professional development. We will look to your continuation of this and will agree a training plan with you
- A degree in Engineering or Mathematics related discipline.
- A high level of competence in engineering and design software such as AutoCAD and Solidworks is essential. Extensive experience is required with Microsoft Word, Excel and Project.
A high degree of confidence, common sense and initiative are required for this role. Diligent and accurate, the successful candidate will be comfortable managing their own time and prioritising their workload. The ability to learn, to communicate effectively with team members and to be flexible in all areas of the business is essential; you must thrive in an entrepreneurial and fast-moving marine organisation.
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.
- Marine / Subsea Operations operational familiarity.
- Seamanship or boat handling experience.
- Working knowledge of tide tables, tidal stream atlases and navigational charts.
- Light mechanical skills/general engineering experience.
- Own mode of transport.