Due to the success of our existing products, and to fulfil our plans for future projects, we currently have a full time software development vacancy for a recent graduate. Reporting into one of the development managers, the graduate software developer will have the opportunity to be involved in design, development, modification and maintenance of Shearwell’s range of software products.
Shearwell Data Limited was formed in 1990, primarily to provide animal identification solutions for farmers. This includes the manufacture of ear tags for cattle, sheep and pigs, the development of farm management software for beef and sheep farmers, electronic identification systems for livestock and web based databases for data storage, transfer and comparison.
To become a key member of the IT Team, you will need to have strong development skills, be hard working, have a high level of motivation and able to fit in well within the team.
Skills & Experience
- To understand the needs of Shearwell’s customers and develop a thorough understanding of how these needs are met by Shearwell’s product range
- To propose and assess solutions to design problems
- To develop software and automated tests according to project design specifications and within agreed development timescales
- To support and maintain existing software functionality; to investigate and correct identified defects
- To answer support queries by investigating existing software functionality
- Continually update skills by learning new technologies relevant to the role and projects
- Promote and advocate best practices within the IT team and throughout the business
- Graduated in 2017 or expect to graduate in 2018 with relevant degree such as: Computer Science, Computing, Applied Computing, Software Engineering, Web Development, Computer Games Programming, Computing for Business
- Fluency in an object orientated language (ideally C++, C# or Java)
- Strong understanding of data structures
In addition to the above, any of the following, though not essential, would be beneficial
- Previous commercial experience (e.g. industrial placement)
- Experience developing applications in C#
- Mobile development for iOS using Swift or for Android using Java
- Database design (e.g. SQL Server)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Quick learner
- A logical thinker
- Able to use own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure
- Able to work alone and with other people
- Attention to detail
- Passionate about technology
For this role, we will offer a competitive salary with contributory pension scheme, 21 days holiday, access to on-site gym and the opportunity to study for further professional qualifications.