A Graduate Trainee Communications and Marketing Officer is required at Devon County Council, Exeter. You will assist with the delivery of DCC’s corporate communication activity and support for the Marketing, Digital, Internal Communications and Press & PR Teams allowing you to develop valuable skills in traditional and digital marketing communications. You will be a University of Exeter member of staff seconded to Devon Council for this role which is part of the Graduate Business Partnership Scheme. This role will be a mix of remote working (in UK) and some office time in Exeter, and is available for 12 months from early January 2022 with the potential to extend to 23 months.
This role is offered as a secondment where you will be employed by the University of Exeter and work for Devon County Council for the duration of this post. At the University of Exeter
we want to make the exceptional happen, and have a real and lasting impact on the world around us. We are already firmly at the forefront of universities worldwide and our ambition is to increase that position, particularly as a Global 100 institution. We challenge our talented students to achieve more than they ever thought possible, and recruit the very best people from around the world to reach greater heights in research excellence, innovation and impact.
Make an impact where it matters the most. At Devon County Council, we work together to improve life across Devon for everyone. We want to create a place that people enjoy living in, as well as a place that you enjoy working. You’ll see the impact you’re making every day, whether your work in healthcare, education, roads and transport or waste and recycling. Make Devon proud. Every day, everyone who works here is making an impact and able to see the differences that they make to the people of Devon. At Devon County Council, we do everything we can to support you and help grow your career. Local government that is; modern, flexible, inclusive and gives you the flexibility and support you need. Devon County Council and its staff seek to eliminate discrimination, advance equality and foster good relations.
The main purpose of this job is to support the promotion of Devon County Council, its role in community leadership and its services, to the people of Devon, employees and stakeholders in line with the authority’s Better Together vision. The role includes support for the Marketing, Digital, Internal Communications and Press & PR Teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist with the delivery of corporate communication activity including providing project based support across a wide range of projects and campaigns to support corporate communications priorities.
- Support communications colleagues to devise, deliver and evaluate high quality marketing campaigns and communication activities to meet the needs of Devon County Council and its audiences, by focusing on raising awareness of the services provided by the organisation across the county and online.
- To help develop, co-ordinate and write effective communication for internal and external audiences
- Support internal communications campaigns and content to relevant target audiences using existing communications channels.
- Support the web and digital team with content creation and maintenance for the organisations websites.
- Support the production of press releases and other forms of media communication
- Work on and continually innovate the organisation’s approach to social media, supporting staff and managers across the organisation to develop imaginative approaches to social media which engage existing and potential users of Devon County Council, and our partners, services.
- Monitor the impact of communications and marketing activity, preparing data and reports for senior managers and client services, as appropriate.
- To help support internal and external partnerships in support of corporate communication objectives.
- Is responsible for smaller projects and/or parts of campaigns according to the set guidelines.
- Runs 2/3 designated marketing projects from start to finish
- Ensure all communications and marketing activities are accessible to everyone, such as hard-to-reach groups, and that they are in line with Devon County council’s commitment to equality and diversity.
This job description outlines the main duties and responsibilities of the post. However, the post holder is also expected to undertake any other reasonable duties within his/her capabilities and the grade and scope of the job as specified by his/her line manager, including undertaking ad-hoc projects as required.
The university offers extensive support to staff, including a structured Professional Development Review and Wellbeing Service
plus GBPs are offered 1:1 support from the Internships Team.
- A degree from a UK university within the last 3 years (E)
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship (E)
- Achieved or working towards a marketing or communications qualification (D)
- Previous work experience (can include voluntary work, part-time employment, student society work) (E)
- Previous work experience in a communications related field (D)
- Able to carry out the duties of the post with reasonable adjustments where necessary (E)
- Excellent literacy skills (E)
- Good organisational skills (E)
- Basic design knowledge (D)
- Excellent written and verbal communications (E)
- Communications qualification (D)
- Excellent IT skills, including a comprehensive understanding of all Microsoft office applications (E)
- People skills, especially tact and patience (E)
- Excellent organisational (E)
- Use of initiative and able to learn through experience (E)
- Self-motivated, able to work unsupervised (E)
- Good level of creativity and innovative ideas (D)
- Strategic thinker- a broad appreciation of Local Authority democratic and political processes (D)
- Commitment to equal opportunities when carrying out their duties (E)
GBP Scheme Requirements
To be eligible to apply and undertake a GBP role you must meet all the following criteria:
- Achieved* (or about to achieve) a full undergraduate degree (or Masters or PhD).
- Graduated in the UK within the last 3 years of your most recent degree (we will consider extenuating circumstances of potential applicants that may have prevented them from undertaking a graduate role within 3 years of graduation).
- Attended a British university (or spent time studying at a UK university through ERASMUS)
- The University of Exeter is committed to developing an environment which promotes equality of opportunity, values diversity and inclusivity.
- The University of Exeter is a Disability Confident Employer, committed to attracting and recruiting people with disabilities and retaining and supporting staff with disabilities. If an applicant declares a disability and meets all the essential criteria, they will be invited to interview.
- We welcome applications from all eligible graduates and in particular those from underrepresented groups. Selection and recruitment itself will be based entirely on merit alone unless there are multiple applicants demonstrating equal merit. In this clear circumstance, preference would be shown to applicants from under-represented groups. This is in line with lawful positive action measures under sections 158 and 159 of the Equality Act 2010.
- Right to Work in the UK for the duration of the GBP internship evidenced by the Intern Guidance- Proving Right to Work the UK. This can include British citizens, individuals with
- Current immigration legislation prevents the University from providing sponsorship certificates for GBP roles, as they do not meet the requirements for a Skilled Worker Visa as explained on the International Student Support webpages.
- All graduates need to reside in the UK whilst undertaking this role.
- You cannot undertake another GBP role if the contract length in total exceeds the maximum duration of 23 months working as a GBP.
*To undertake a GBP role, you must achieve your degree. In the unlikely event where a degree is not awarded, the GBP hours may be reduced to 15 hours per week (for undergraduates) or 6 hours per week (for postgraduates) to enable the graduate the capacity to successfully complete their degree. If the graduate fails their degree, the GBP role will end early.
How to Apply
- To apply for this role please complete our internship application form which can be downloaded here. Please send your completed form by clicking apply for this job now, or send it direct to firstname.lastname@example.org stating that you saw the job advertised on Gradsouthwest. Please ensure you use the Personal Statement section to fully explain why your skills, personality and experience make you the right person for the job.
Closing Date: 5/12/21
Interview Date: TBC likely to be the week after the closing date
Start Date: January – can be confirmed upon appointment
End Date: January 2022 with the possibility that the role will be extended to January 2023