A Graduate Waste Management Support Officer is required by Devon County Council, in Exeter. The role involves working on waste management projects including: schools’ waste education; Waste@work; and reduce, reuse & recycle with the general public. This is a 6 month GBP graduate role.
A graduate is required at Devon County Council (though you will be employed by the University of Exeter) to work on several waste management projects, including promoting schools’ waste education work, supporting the Waste@work scheme and behavioural change work. This post is available immediately for 6 months and is part of the Graduate Business Partnerships scheme.
Purpose of Role
To assist with:
- a variety of tasks to change the behaviour of the Devon public in relation to reducing, reusing and recycling their waste including:
- updating the Recycle Devon website www.recycledevon.org
- ·outdoor events to promote the reduction of food waste
- a variety of tasks in relation to schools’ waste education work, including
- school and community tours to the Pinbrook Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC) and Energy Recovery Facilities in Exeter and Plymouth
- school & community events to promote sustainable waste and resource practices at home, school and at work.
- promotion of the internal recycle@work scheme
- assistance with the Devon Reuse Project
The postholder will also undertake any other duties commensurate with this level of post and as assigned by the line manager.
Training and Development opportunities
Training opportunities will be limited but support will be given where required.
Level of Support
The graduate will be line managed by the Waste Management Officer (Education and Communities) with day to day input from the Senior Waste Managers for Communications and Special projects.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
The county council works flexi time.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
Essential: enthusiastic, self-motivated, requiring a minimum of supervision, dependable and trustworthy.
Desirable: organised and methodical, understanding of and commitment to sustainabilility issues, ability to meet deadlines and targets, commitment to equal opportunities, ability to carry out the post with reasonable adjustments where necessary
Essential: should be able to demonstrate good verbal and written skills including punctuation and grammar; confident communicator with the public; flexible and diplomatic with good interpersonal skills
Desirable: experience of dealing with school aged children, experience of using a range of social media sites
Essential: IT literate with standard Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Desirable: experience in use of website CMS (Drupal/Word Press); video skills
Essential: ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to carry out research.
Desirable: awareness of waste management issues, promotion and marketing skills
- Graduate of a UK university within the last 3 years.
- research and development to reach and engage with 18 to 24 year olds
- research and creation of online media content
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
- The successful candidate will be required to have a DBS check
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.