An International Support Officer is required at the University of Exeter. The role involves supporting campus activities and initiatives to increase recruitment of international students onto University programmes at all study levels. This Graduate Business Partnership is for 12 months.
The University of Exeter is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities. We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, and have achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017. The University of Exeter has over 22,000 students and 4600 staff from 180 different countries. Our research focuses on some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today, with 98% of our research rated as being of international quality in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. Fifty percent of our organisation is made up of Professional Services support staff that partner closely with the Academic colleges to ensure we achieve our strategy and vision.
Communication and Marketing Services seeks to enhance our university's global reputation, help build effective stakeholder relationships, and attract and develop students with the potential to excel. We engage with stakeholders in the UK and all around the world and have expertise in branding, strategic marketing, event management, digital and traditional media, student recruitment, admissions, widening participation, market research and internal communications.
The International Student Recruitment team lead on delivery of the University’s international recruitment strategy to support the achievement of the University’s ambitious international recruitment targets.
Main purpose of the role:
To help raise awareness of the University amongst fee paying international students already studying in the UK and to undertake further research to support effective targeting of the same. To support in market and on campus activities and initiatives to increase recruitment of the same to University programmes at all study levels.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To plan and deliver an agreed programme of inbound on campus activity for international students based in the UK;
- To support academic staff in their engagement with UK International feeders schools and foundation providers;
- To represent the University as required through attendance at education fairs, University open days and visits to feeder organisations. Also to make presentations as appropriate at the same and to ensure that prompt follow up action is initiated after such visits, including the submission of post visit reports;
- To plan and execute all logistics associated with the above, including travel, accommodation and freight ensuring expenditure is in accordance with University guidelines and maximises return on investment;
- To collaborate with colleagues in other departments (notably UK Student Recruitment and Communications and Marketing) to share event calendars, best practice and intelligence and support initiatives such as on campus events and virtual open days.
- To contribute to the assessment of UK feeder qualifications such as Foundation courses. To keep internal and external guidance on their acceptability and equivalence up to date, and to assist staff -- including in INTO University of Exeter – in applying this information consistently;
- To contribute to online and print international recruitment materials as required, ensuring that content reflects the latest brand messages and is tailored to the specific needs of the designated markets;
- To keep up to date with UK immigration regulations and conditions, both in general and with specific regard to students applying from within the UK;
- To work effectively with colleagues to inform and deliver an ‘end to end’ recruitment, marketing and admissions service including support during workload peaks within the wider team (e.g. incoming campus visits, Freshers’ Week or Clearing).
- To perform such other duties as may be required within grade.
This job description summarises the main duties and accountabilities of the post and is not comprehensive: the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties of similar level and responsibility.
Training and Development opportunities
Join an experienced International Student Recruitment team. Build experience in international recruitment which may support moving into this area as an international officer. Previous GBPs in ISR have progressed to international officer roles.
Level of Support
Weekly meetings with Line Manager who will mentor the GBP over the course of the 12 months.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
Opportunities for travel both within and outside the UK
The duties and responsibilities associated with this post are varied and complex. The person appointed accordingly will be expected at all times to demonstrate the highest professional standards in support of the University’s institutional and strategic objectives.
- Degree from a UK University within the last 3 years (E)
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship (E)
- Knowledge of marketing tools and techniques (D)
- Excellent literacy and written communication skills, with the proven ability to produce accurate, well researched work to tight deadlines; (E)
- Numeracy with good Excel skills, and proven experience of statistical analysis; (E)
- Confident public speaker able to deliver engaging, succinct and tailored messages according to the audience; (E)
- Highly organised approach, with the ability to work independently and to prioritise tasks with the minimum of supervision (E)
Knowledge and understanding
- Cultural awareness including an appreciation of different cultural expectations, sensitivities, customs and practices (E)
- Familiarity with University of Exeter’s programme portfolio (D)
- Familiarity with the University of Exeter’s brand position within the wider UK HE landscape. (D)
- Familiarity with UCAS admissions process. (E)
- Awareness of UKVI Tier 4 legislation (D)
- A proactive approach to solving problems, using creative and innovative thinking (E)
- Ability to think both strategically and operationally with the capacity to adopt the most appropriate approach to a task or situation. (E)
- A team player, enthusiastic about supporting colleagues and contributing to the development and delivery of shared goals; (E)
- Resilient, and capable of thriving in unfamiliar environments whilst retaining sound judgement. (E)
- Enthusiastic advocate for UK (E)
- Familiarity with event organisation &/or promotion (E)
- Experience of digital marketing tools and platforms (D)
- Demonstrable skills in relationship management with people from a wide range of job functions.
The post requires the ability to travel regularly within the UK and occasionally overseas (for between 40 and 70 days). This travel may possibly be at short notice without restriction, as well as weekend work and for extended hours during peak periods.
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.