A Laboratory Technician is required at the University of Exeter in Cornwall. The role is to support the College of Life & Environmental Sciences research facilities, assisting with the running of the laboratories and supporting research groups. The role is for 6 months and part of the GBP scheme.
Project Details – Laboratory Assistant
Working closely with the Technical Services team and Research groups the role of the Laboratory Technician is to provide technical support and assistance to academic staff and students within the laboratory to ensure an efficient and safe working environment, within the College of Life and Environmental Science.
The main duties and responsibilities will be as follows
To provide laboratory cleaning support (for example: washing glassware, plastics, benches, cleaning of equipment).
• Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, to provide specialist cleaning services to research and technical staff.
• To use and maintain basic laboratory equipment (such as autoclaves and glassware washers) after proper training and under initial supervision.
• To prepare media and chemicals for use within the laboratory (buffers, plates etc.) after training and initial supervision.
• Where required, assist in the growth and preparation of microorganisms and plants and the care and welfare of animals. This may include assisting in husbandry and maintaining facilities. Training and supervision will be provided.
• To prepare scientific samples for analysis with guidance as required.
• To undertake equipment maintenance/servicing under guidance and supervision from the Laboratory Manager.
• To keep and maintain records concerning the health and safety of the laboratory.
• Under guidance, to ensure adequate stocks of laboratory consumables (chemicals, first aid items, cleaning materials etc.) are maintained.
• To maintain a tidy and well-organised working environment in accordance with health and safety procedures and regulatory guidelines.
• Liaising with co-workers to ensure an efficient working practice.
The appointee will also carry out any other duties and small projects as required by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level and nature of the post.
ESSENTIAL CANDIDATE CRITERIA: LABORATORY ASSISTANT
Graduate from a UK university within the last 3 years
Qualified to degree level, preferably in a science subject
Ability to perform standard scientific procedures after appropriate training.
Ability to create and maintain accurate and detailed records, and standard operating procedures.
Understand the requirement for safe methods of work.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
Organised and methodical approach.
Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, and an ability to communicate at all levels.
Ability to prioritise work applying a flexible/ responsive approach to work demands.
Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
Right to work in UK for the duration of the internship
Basic knowledge of Microsoft and Apple platforms desirable but not essential
Application closing date: 19/05/19
Interview date: 28/05/19
Start date: 03/06/19 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
End date: 6 months from start date
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.