Background to National Citizen Service (NCS)
NCS exists to engage, unite, and empower young people, building their confidence so they can go out there and achieve their dreams, no matter where they are from or what their background is. From the life skills they develop to the friends they make, NCS Trust’s ambition is clear – They want to give teenagers an opportunity to unleash their potential, to build their self-belief and get them prepped for life after school. Vision: A country of connected, confident and caring citizens where everyone feels at home. Mission: To inspire generations of citizens through a shared experience that develops character and bridges social divides. Ambition: For NCS to become a normal part of growing up for all young citizens in the UK that impacts their lives beyond the programme.
The Wave Leader Role Description
As the Wave Leader you will play a crucial role in supporting the smooth running of the programme. You will lead and inspire up to five teams of young people, alongside your Team Leaders. You will be responsible for delivering curriculum sessions, coordinating programme logistics and compliance measures, safeguarding and pastoral care of young people, and line management of seasonal staff. This is a fulfilling and challenging role where you will make a real impact on the lives of young people. As part of this role you will need prior experience of programme coordination and support as well as pastoral care. Whilst on programme you will support a cohesive team environment working closely with the Team Leaders, supported by the Compliance Officer and core NCS Groundwork London staff. This is a rewarding and demanding role, suitable for those with an enthusiasm for youth work and smooth programme coordination. Main objectives:
● You will proactively assist in coordinating all programme logistics and compliance measures.
● You will line manage your Team Leader by providing coaching and feedback support.
● You will be responsible for the safeguarding, behaviour management and pastoral care of a group of young people, the number of which will be determined by social distancing guidance
● You will report to the Compliance Officer to ensure that core Groundwork London staff are regularly updated on the status of your waves ● You will communicate and model the values of the NCS Trust and ensure that young people and staff are acting in accordance with those values
● You will need to deliver curriculum sessions in line with the programme, including guided reflection for the young people
● You will lead visits to community partners and charities and foster those relationships to deliver meaningful social action
● You will actively support your team of young people to plan and deliver their social action project
● You will follow all policies and procedures as laid out by Groundwork London specifically regarding safeguarding, health and safety, risk assessment, GDPR and incident reporting Person Specification
● Experience of line managing staff and familiarity with appraisal and feedback processes
● Experience of coordinating programme logistics
● Experience of facilitating engaging, structured group sessions and activities
● Experience of working with and engaging young people in an inclusive environment
● Experience of effectively managing challenging behaviour and meeting the personal development needs of young people
● Experience of working in high-pressure, complex settings and demonstrating a solution-oriented mindset ● You possess dynamic and effective communication, presentation and facilitation skills
● Experience of managing relationships with external partners and stakeholders
● You will be capable of ensuring strict adherence to policies and procedures as laid out by Groundwork London, specifically safeguarding, health and safety, risk assessment, and incident reporting
● You will be able to communicate the importance of social action and NCS values to your staff and cohort of young people
● You have an understanding of GDPR and managing sensitive data Beneficial
● Experience of implementing social action or project-based learning programmes
● The ability to tailor sessions to a wide range of learning-styles so that everyone can access the material and activities
● An existing awareness of current socio-economic issues and trends which may affect young people
● Experience of managing a residential programme.
The summer programme will run from July until the end of August, with the majority of the autumn programme taking place over October half term.