Based right near the beach in Newquay, Cornwall, Excess Energy is on the hunt for a brilliant individual, who’s looking to make waves in the creative sector, working across a range of exciting clients and communications platforms, whilst supporting our teams across our diverse workload.
The successful candidate will be strongly supported by all members of the team, but will have a full, ongoing induction and development programme via the Account Director (who is herself a fast-tracked Unlocking Potential Graduate Trainee with the team.) In-house and appropriate out-of-house industry training will be provided and the Excess Energy personal development scheme is bespoke to the individual, encouraging not just ongoing development that matches the team member’s skills needs, but also personal motivations.
This new opening is for a key team player who will play a supportive role right across the agency’s work, and around the office, and offers the opportunity for a driven, flexible and sparkling personality, with great writing skills, to carve the first important learnings and campaign results of their career in the ever-dynamic world of creative communications.
Task Overview for this role
This is a wide and varied role that supports all elements of the business. Key tasks for the new Creative Communications Assistant will include:
- Media relations, social media and content creation
- Preparing written content such as press releases, media materials and pitches
- Project management
- Delivering outstanding client service
- Creative input into team brainstorming sessions
- A relevant degree in PR, communications, journalism, marketing or a subject related to creative communications
- A strong interest in the media and creative communications in general
- A strong interest in social and digital media and an understanding of personal brand importance
- Strong writing skills and an attention to detail
- A team player with initiative, a can-do attitude, and a willingness to learn and develop
- A knowledge of the main Microsoft packages
- Frequent travel is required as part of this role, to attend client meetings across Cornwall so a driving license and access to transport is essential
- In-design & Photoshop capabilities (if you’re the right candidate but don’t already have these skills, training will be provided)
- A knowledge of Cornwall
- Work experience or previous experience within the communications field
What we offer
As well as providing a salary package that is above the norm for Cornwall & the South West we offer a range of optional benefits for the right candidate:
- Progression, development and training opportunities
- Membership of industry bodies
- Mobile phone package
- Excess Energy birthday present on the day that they joined the company, as well as a present on your actual birthday
- Extra day off at Christmas
- Incentive bonuses for those who have gone above and beyond
- Generous end of year bonus (tied to company profits)
- Full national pension payment, which starts as soon as you become a full time team member
- Access to a Financial Advisor
- Team members who have been with us for five years also receive a £500 bonus and an additional two days of annual leave per year
Plus we have really great coffee, as well as smoothies, juice, herbal teas and ‘Pure Synergy’ health boosting powder.
The wellbeing of our team is extremely important to us and we have worked flexibly to accommodate additional unpaid parental leave, proactive mental health days and sympathetic leave, when they have been necessary.
We allow well behaved dogs in our office (when we don’t have client meetings). Parents are regularly allowed to work flexibly so they can accommodate children’s illness and school events and everyone is offered both the equipment and the opportunity to work from home, or from elsewhere, whenever they need to do so for personal reasons.
You can also join us in our out of work activities such as spa days and cultural nights out (slam poetry anyone?).
If you fit the bill, please send your CV, or (bearing in mind that we’re looking for a standout individual with a talent for creative communications) sell yourself in some other exciting, effective way, to Sarah Harrington.
We look forward to hearing from you!