This programme of research seeks to better understand current services for people with severe obesity, and will investigate whether a new group-based behavioural intervention (called “PROGROUP”) is more effective and cost-effective than usual care for tackling this condition. The post holder will support the PROGROUP team in delivering this important programme of research.
Purpose of Role
The candidate will work within a wider team, providing organisational and administrative support to deliver research and support to the PROGROUP team.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a staff member the intern will be able to take advantage of on-line and face to face University training courses, including:
- Impact and Influence
- Presentation Skills
- Personal Presence and Impact
- Taking Control of Your Career
- The Aspiring Managers Programme
- Getting the most out of your Performance Development Review
- Additional Bitesize Sessions
- Work Shadowing
- Career Mentor
- Careers Advice
- Careers Resources
- Support finding your next graduate role
This job description summarises the main duties but the post holder is also expected to undertake other duties commensurate with the level of the post as requested by the line manager.
Level of Support
- Line-management support is present daily and regular one-to-one meetings will be scheduled. The university offers extensive support to staff, including a structured Professional Development Review and Wellbeing Service plus GBPs are offered 1:1 support from the Internships Team.
- The jobholder will be based with an experienced team, who are generous with advice and will offer guidance throughout the internship.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
Skills and Understanding
- Excellent organisational and planning skills and the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines under pressure
- Excellent time management and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in person, in writing and email, and by telephone with a diverse range of people
- Willingness to use initiative and approach tasks creatively
- Excellent IT skills including proficiency in MS office (especially, Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and web based programs
- Fast and accurate database inputting skills and maintaining and using a database for retrieval of information
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent inter-personal skills and experience of dealing effectively with staff at all levels in an organisation
- Understanding of university and NHS culture and working with academics, clinicians and patients and members of the public
- Experience of delivering excellent customer service and effectively handling complex enquiries
- Experience of digital communications and marketing
- Relevant administrative experience
- Experience of writing communications, and synthesising complex information clearly and concisely
- Experience of working in a team to deliver to multiple objectives
- Demonstrable experience of researching and writing compelling copy for a specific audience
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Ability to be flexible and deal with frequent interruptions whilst maintaining focus and accuracy
- Ability to present a professional image of the University of Exeter at all times
- Confidence and ability to work independently with appropriate supervision
- A positive attitude towards new technology and methods of communication (for example emerging forms of social media)
- Confident speaking with people at all levels and from all backgrounds
- Demonstrable ability to use own initiative in the workplace
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Problem solving
- Ability to work flexibly, creatively and with enthusiasm
- Professional, efficient and friendly manner
- Attention to detail and commitment to high standards of presentation
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Logical approach to developing administrative processes
- Ability to deal with confidential information in a discreet and professional manner
- Willingness to undertake training for University systems
- Achieved (or about the achieve) a full undergraduate degree (if you have a Masters or PhD you can apply)
- attended a British university or you were an ERASMUS student who has spent a year studying at a UK university
- Graduated in the UK in the last 3 years (from your most recent degree)
- Right to Work in the UK for the duration of the GBP internship without the need for sponsorship
- Residency in the UK for the duration of your GBP role
- We welcome all applicants and the diversity they bring, however current immigration legislation prevents the university to provide sponsorship certificates for GBPs, as they do not meet the criteria for a Tier 2 (General Visa) as explained on the International Student Support webpages
- The University of Exeter is committed to developing an environment which promotes equality of opportunity, values diversity and where staff can work free from discrimination and harassment. You can find more details on the Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity webpages.
- The University of Exeter is a Disability Confident Employer, committed attracting and recruiting people with disabilities, and retaining and supporting staff with disabilities.
- To undertake a GBP role you must achieve your degree. In the unlikely scenario where a degree is not awarded, the GBP hours may be reduced to 15hrs a week (for undergraduates) or 6hrs a week (for postgraduates) to enable to the graduand the capacity to successfully complete their degree. If the graduand fails their degree the GBP role will end early.
Closing Date: 06/12/2020
Interview Date: 14/12/2020
Start Date: 01/02/2021
End Date: 31/12/22 or 23 months later after start date
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here. Please submit your completed form by clicking APPLY FOR THIS JOB NOW.