The University of Exeter’s Penryn Campus is set in the countryside just outside Falmouth, and has just over 2,500 students studying across a variety of programmes in science, engineering, and the arts. The campus rates in the top ten nationally for student satisfaction, recognised for the personal, close-knit, and lively community experience that students based here are able to take advantage of.
Purpose of Role:
This role will work principally with those disciplines from the College of Life & Environmental Sciences based at the Penryn campus to support and develop student engagement activity, that is, how students take an active role in what their educational experience looks like. This will include coordinating Student-Staff Liaison Committees (SSLCs) and supporting academic reps, promoting and signposting students towards various feedback/change mechanisms and enrichment opportunities throughout the University (e.g. the National Student Survey and Exeter Award), and mentoring Students as Change Agents and Partners projects within the College. The post holder will occasionally be required to support student engagement in other disciplines at the Penryn Campus, particularly in the arts and social sciences, and will also be involved in supporting a variety of employability activities within the College, such as careers events, module fairs, etc.
This is an important and exciting role in helping the University to maintain current standards of student engagement, but also to identify and develop new ideas and practice in this area. As such, this role focuses on partnership-working with students, as well as with academic and professional services staff at a variety of levels in the University and our respective students’ unions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and support SSLCs across the College, working with secretaries and chairs to ensure that all meetings adhere to the same standards and procedures, and acting as secretary to meetings where required
- Meet regularly with and mentor Subject Chairs and the College Officer to support them in chairing student-staff meetings and committees, including SSLCs
- Offer support to all students reps within the College, signposting students to appropriate training and development resources where necessary
- Work with Directors of Education (and other academic staff where appropriate) in each subject to follow up actions from SSLCs and ensure student feedback is actioned fully
- Work closely with relevant contacts with the University’s students’ unions to continually monitor and review the effectiveness of academic representation in the College
- Promote and signpost relevant student and/or staff ideas to be developed through the Students as Change Agents and Partners, and support these projects as necessary
- Support, and where necessary coordinate, the promotion of student surveys, enrichment opportunities, and recruitment campaigns throughout the year, e.g. the National Student Survey, Teaching Awards, and student elections
- Contribute to presentations, lecture hits, and newsletters to deliver news, calls to action, and to disseminate practice to staff and/or students as appropriate
- Occasionally travel to the Streatham Campus as required to support activity of the student engagement team across the University
- Work collaboratively with academic staff, the College’s Associate Dean for Education, and the Education Business Partner for Penryn, supporting any relevant student engagement projects or activity
- Support other activities related to student engagement as required, such as employability
- Carry out any other duties and projects as required by your Line Manager, commensurate with the level of the post
Training and Development opportunities
Induction training will provide all the necessary information to conduct this post, which will include information about student engagement, and specific training for any software needed such as T4 web content editor, and student records and timetabling systems. You will also work with your line manager while in post to identify training needs for skills relevant to the role e.g. mentoring/coaching skills, event management, etc.
The post is part of a wider team working across the University to support student engagement, involvement with which will provide further support and identify opportunities for training and development.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
Some flexible working arrangements (flexitime and homeworking) are available for this post, in line with University guidance and negotiation with the post’s line manager.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly establish rapport and build professional, trusting relationships with a wide range of students and colleagues, including senior managers
- Enthusiastic about working with a wide range of students and staff
- Ability to maintain a positive and engaging attitude in a busy and ever-changing environment
- Ability to balance a variety of different tasks and balance conflicting priorities, including deadlines at short notice
- Organised and methodical approach to managing own workload
- Quick learner, with the ability to work independently and under own initiative
- Flexible working style, able to adapt to working in different places and occasionally with travel involved or hours outside of normal working pattern
- Competent user of Microsoft software packages including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Graduate of a UK university within the last 3 years
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship
- Previous experience as a student rep, peer mentor, or society committee member
- Confident speaking and presenting skills in front of large and small audiences
- Attention to detail, with the ability to see the bigger picture
- Experience of managing events
- Understanding or experience of using marketing principles and tailoring messages to different audiences
Closing date: 28 Aug 19
Interview date: 06 Sept 19
Start date: 16 Sept 19
End date: 31 Dec 19
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.