This post sits in the College Operations Directorate and will support activities to enhance the student learning experience. The role includes supporting the Academic Personal Tutoring framework and working with our academic and student colleagues. This GBP role is available until 30/11/2020.
At the University of Exeter we want to make the exceptional happen, and have a real and lasting impact on the world around us. We are already firmly at the forefront of universities worldwide and our ambition is to increase that position, particularly as a Global 100 institution. We challenge our talented students to achieve more than they ever thought possible, and recruit the very best people from around the world to reach greater heights in research excellence, innovation and impact.
Purpose of Role
Overall goal of this post is to support work towards an enhanced teaching and learning experience for our students. The tasks will be varied and exciting, and involve liaison with academic and student colleagues to support existing activity and plan for future enhancements of student learning experiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Manager of Academic Development and Enhancement to support activities identified by disciplines to improve and enhance student learning experience in those disciplines
- Work with colleagues in the Law School to support Academic Personal Tutoring through helping book appointment and follow up.
- Working with Student Guild representatives to plan and organize student focus groups with identified disciplines to seek student feedback on planned enhancements.
- Help design workshops for planning future enhancements to the student learning experience, including room booking, planning activities, sending invites and capturing feedback.
- Help plan communications for students on enhancements implemented to address issues identified as requiring improvement.
Training and Development opportunities
The post holder will be offered on the job training and development in a wide range of activities in line with the work being undertaken.
The university offers online and in-person learning and development opportunities, including mandatory online training in Prevent Duty - Inclusive, Cohesive and Safe Universities; Equality and Diversity Introduction; Health and Safety Introduction and Information Governance. Plus GBPs are offered a ‘how to make the most of your internship’ introductory session, bespoke mentoring, work shadow and career consultancy opportunities.
Level of Support
The post holder will meet with their line manager formally on a weekly basis, but will also be supported by other members of the Academic Development team or academic colleagues on an informal basis.
The university offers extensive support to staff, including a structured Professional Development Review and Wellbeing Service plus GBPs are offered 1:1 support from the Internships Team.
Other Benefits, Rewards and Recognition
The university offers a wide range of benefits, rewards and recognition, including generous pension and holiday allowance of 39 days a year.
- A graduate from a UK university from the last 3 years and the degree can be in any subject.
Skills and Understanding
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Able to manage a varied and demanding workload and to work to quickly changing deadlines
- Excellent organisation skills
- An interest in student learning experience
- Desirable to have been involved in any change projects, project management, event organising.
- Desirable to have evidence of working with academic or student colleagues in capacity as class rep, or similar roles.
Behavioural Characteristics/ Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work alone or as part of a small team, prioritising appropriately
- Able to effectively communicate with lots of different members of the university community, students, academic colleagues and senior managers.
- Graduate of a UK university within the last 3 years
- Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW