A graduate is required by Teaching, Quality, Assurance and Enhancement at the University of Exeter to support Peer Programmes, the Online Module Fair, the UG Research Showcase and marketing of online resources for WP students. This full-time GBP role is available immediately until 31/7/21.
The Academic Skills Team is based within Teaching, Quality, Assurance and Enhancement and delivers academic skills in the curriculum, one-to-one academic skills support, PGR to UG Maths & Stats and Writing Mentoring, and Peer Support. This role will focus on supporting Widening Participation (WP) activities in four main areas;
- Organisational support for WP (e.g. mature) students study days
- Delivery of an UG Research Showcase and Online Module Fair in spring term to support presentation opportunity and enable equality of access to information to all students, particularly WP students
- Support for Widening Participation peer programmes (e.g. mature/BAME/Care Leavers)
- Supporting the development and marketing of online resources aimed at WP (e.g. mature) students
Purpose of Role: This role is to support widening participation activities in the Academic Skills team in four main areas:
- Support the organisation and delivery of Study Days for WP (e.g. mature) students as part of the transition support for this group of students beginning programmes of study at the University.
Duties may include:
- ·organising resources and teaching materials,
- email and /or other communications
- room bookings and catering,
- liaising with other key stakeholders
- Developing the existing template for presenting information to students, in the light of feedback from stakeholders
- Organise and prepare venues and administrative items for events.
- Liaise with College staff to make them aware of the initiatives and encourage engagement
- Use T4 to set up links to each discipline’s module information
- Use RSS Feeds to make the site accessible
- Use appropriate processes to maximize site optimisation
- Link to module information housed on the ELE
- Link to careers information housed on CareerHub (MyCareerZone), for additional advice and guidance
- Source appropriate images, handling and logging licensing data as required
- Develop and implement Marketing Plans, in line with University and departmental guidelines, to ensure that students know about and can access the activities.This will involve liaising with Colleges and the Students’ Guild, and staff within Teaching, Quality, Assurance and Enhancement.
- Produce a brief report evaluating the effectiveness of the initiatives and providing recommendations for future developments
- To organise activities that support students learning and development opportunities
- Support the organisation of an UG Research showcase which supports students to present their UG research skills via a poster or abstract. The event needs to particularly support WP students and encourage greater engagement in this area of learning development.
- Support the organisation of the Online Module Fair which promotes the option of taking up to 30 credits outside of a student’s programme of study to all students who are entitled to do so. The fair needs to be of particular benefit to mature, part-time and distance learners to give them equality of access to information.The Fair will run for a fortnight in March.
Duties will include:
- Support Peer Programme Organisers; particularly for Widening Participation peer programmes (e.g. Mature, BAME and Care Leavers). Support may be for academics or students who organise the Programmes.You will also provide support for Peer Mentors.
Duties will include:
- Running focus groups to establish the specific support that particular groups of students would like
- Supporting the marketing and promotion of peer learning
- Supporting the organisation of training sessions for Peer Mentors
- Providing administrative support to the Peer Programmes, particularly where these are student-led
- Taking minutes at meetings as required
- Attending and conducting observations of Peer to Peer sessions
- Keeping accurate records, create and manage databases for selected programmes
- Assisting with projects to create video and other media to promote and celebrate student engagement
- Supporting the organisation of celebration activities such as the Peer Mentoring Awards, and the Education Conference Exhibition
- Evaluating and reporting on the impact of interventions, and make recommendations for further developments
- Supporting the development and marketing of online resources aimed at WP (eg. mature) students
Duties will include:
- Working with Academic Skills Advisers and students to create high quality video and other visually engaging content to support online Study Skills resources.
- Contributing to and/or authoring high quality social media and/or blog posts to promote scheduled events and online content
- Developing marketing materials in line with University and departmental branding guidelines, and liaising with the Design Studio
The post-holder will also be expected to undertake any other duties commensurate with this level of post and as required by the line manager.
Training and Development opportunities
- You will be trained in how to use T4, the web management system.
- You will be trained in how to use CareerHub the event management system used by the Career Zone
- You will be trained in how to use the video creation equipment and software used by the team
Essential Candidate Criteria:
Graduate of a UK university within the last 3 years
Knowledge & experience
- Knowledge of website design
- Experience of marketing and publicity
- Experience of event management
Skills & Attributes
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Liaison and networking
- Planning and organising
- Initiative and problem solving
- Research and analysis
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Punctual and reliable
- Creative and resourceful
- Good IT skills: Excel and Word
Right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship
To apply for this role please complete our internship application which can be downloaded here: http://ex.ac.uk/bqu. Please send your completed form to us by clicking APPLY NOW.