Is Postgraduate Study for you?
Thursday, November 3, 2016
November is traditionally Postgraduate Open Day season where many University’s open their doors to prospective students looking to continue their studies at postgraduate level.
What is Postgraduate Study?
Postgraduate study is an opportunity to take your subject further and deeper, to focus and specialise. There are three categories of postgraduate study:
- Taught courses – including Masters Programmes that tend to be 1 year full-time leading to MSc or MA type qualifications.
- Research courses – usually 2+ years leading to MPhil or 3+ years leading to PhD qualifications these courses tend to allow greater academic independence.
- Professional Courses – which enable entry into a given profession, e.g. PGCE for teaching.
Why Postgraduate Study?
The reasons people chose to do postgraduate study vary hugely. It is important to consider why you want to continue your studies and what motivates you:
- Is postgraduate study needed to move into your chosen career?
- Does postgraduate study allow you to change career path?
- Do you love the subject and just want to study it in more depth?
- Do you enjoy being at University and want to stay longer?
- Will postgraduate study abroad gain you international experience?
- Are you not sure of the jobs market?
What are the benefits?
A postgraduate qualification is an excellent way to enhance your prospects – whether that is within academia, within your chosen career, or to enable you to change career paths.
For some a postgraduate qualification is a necessary career step. For others it is the chance to grow and develop ideas and interests.
Is funding available?
There are many funding options available for postgraduate study and your best bet is to contact the University that you are interested in studying at for the options they have available for that course.
If you are looking to stay in the South West here are a few links to help you:
If you’ve missed the autumn Open Day date, then many Universities have further open days in the spring.
If you remain here in the South West or go further afield for your postgraduate study, don’t forget to use www.gradsouthwest.com to get your job in the South West when you finish!
If you are advertising postgraduate study and would like to talk to us about promoting your Postgraduate Open Days or Programmes then give us a call on 01392 241302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org